Cascading Waters can be found at 135 Olean Street on the eastern edge of Worcester's northwest parklands, the Cascades. The Cascades are 350 acres of park and conservation lands along the borders of Worcester, Paxton, and Holden, Massachusetts. Home to countless species of plants and animals, the Cascades are open to passive recreation year-round.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wild Turkey!


We manage the area more as a meadow than a lawn despite its small size.

The wildlife seem to think it is plenty big with the latest visitor being a wild turkey this afternoon.
This is the first time we have seen turkey in the past nearly three years of watching.

Thankfully Mike Benedetti was present with a digital camera while working on a 508.

Thanks for the image Mike!

2 comments:

Joe said...

I saw my first turkey of the year down here at Alvarado/Fitzgerald Brook. I had to park on the street because it was in the driveway when I got home this morning. My girls saw a Momma with two babies last week. They like teh grubs in our "lawn", which are fairly abundant because of our lack of fertilizer and pesticides.

By August, hopefully we'll have the nightly roosting in the oak trees. In years past at dusk, when the flock was as big as 11, you'd see them flying from the backyard into the side yard, one at a time, and trying to find them once they'd picked a spot.

I think the most we saw at once last summer was 6.

Tracy Novick said...

Joe,
That's great! I'll be the girls loved the babies. I guess turkeys are another reason not to use anything on the lawn.